ICPAC contribution to PREPARED
The Limited Scope Grant Agreement (LSGA) No. 623-LGSA-623009.02-3-60082 and Implementation Letters (IL No. 08-13), Implementation Letters (IL No. 08-13 Amendment 1) and Implementation Letters (IL No. 08-13 Amendment 2) signed between USAID/East Africa and IGAD in March 2013, October 2014 and October 2015 respectively intend to enhance the institutional capacity of the IGAD Climate Prediction and Applications Centre (ICPAC) in providing climate services and support Climate Change Adaptation component of PREPARED Program.
ICPAC as one of the implementing partners for the PREPARED program. The key areas of achievement of the project since 2014 have been in the areas of capacity building, generation of climate change adaptation decision support tools and strengthening partnership and collaboration among the PREPARED partners in implementing the program. Some of the achievements are highlighted below;
- Prepared elongated quality controlled climate data series for products generation and climate change detection analysis & attribution;
- Trained 20 staff from national meteorological services and developed manuals on climate change scenarios and downscaling through regional workshops;
- Trained 10 data managers from national meteorological services and developed manuals on climate data management techniques and climate Data Rescue concepts through a regional workshop;
- Over 100 staff members from national met services and socio-economic sectors were trained on climate data gridding using the GeoCLIM tool;
- Produced regional and national gridded monthly rainfall data base using the GeoCLIM tool that can be used as an input for several applications;
- Produced technical reports/assessments on Baseline climate and trends, Climate hotspots and vulnerability, Rainfall onset and cessation dates and Climate change Scenario for 2030; 2050; 2070; extreme climate analysis;
- Prepared geospatial climate data layers for current and future Vulnerability, Impacts and Adaptation over the Lake Victoria Basin and East Africa Community region;
- Prepared future climate change scenario data for analysis using GeoCLIM;
- Supported Data Rescue (DARE) activities at the Tanzania Meteorological Agency (TMA);
- Improved provision of user tailored weather products through 10-day, monthly and seasonal bulletins for sector application.