Disaster Risk Reduction and Early Warning System
The overarching training objective is to understand the current state of the art for the exchange of data and information for the generation of impact-based EWS for early action and transboundary risk management; improve the related capacities of National organizations for implementing effective early warning and early action systems in cooperation with AMHEWAS for DRR and IGAD Disaster Operation Centre- Situation Room.
The objective of the training is to ensure that Africa Institutions will have:
- Increased awareness and understanding of the Legal and institutional frameworks for Early Warning System Framework validated on 22 th of October by Member States in Nairobi;
- Improved understanding of the technical tools offered by the AMHEWS for DRR, and in particular to the IGAD Disaster Operations Centre-Situation Room to access, exchange and analyze relevant DRR data and information along with its Standard Operating Procedures.
- Improved understanding of risk assessment and mapping for Early Warnings and Early Action, including risk components -hazard, exposure and vulnerability.
- Increased awareness of the Africa Multi-Hazard Early Warning and Action system, and in particular IGAD Disaster Operations Centre-Situation Room, on the products generated and the Standard Operating Procedure.
- Increased awareness of the way forward in the implementation of the road map for the establishment of the continental impact-based EWS for early action and transboundary risk management, along with modalities for effective engagement of stakeholders.