Seasonal Forecast for Eastern Africa
Greater Horn of Africa Climate Outlook Forums bring together climate scientists, meteorologists and experts from multiple sectors to evaluate potential impacts of the seasonal forecast and co-produce mitigation measures.
Agenda and How to Register: scroll down to Agenda to see all the GHACOF57 events and access the registration links.
Feb. 8, 2021 - Pre COF: Capacity Building and Production of the Forecast
Feb. 15, 2021 - Co-production of Climate Services
Note: this meeting is for selected sector experts, users, and forecasters. You are welcomed to apply to participate. If your registration is approved you will receive a link by email.
Time: 9:00 am - 13:00 pm East Africa Time (EAT) (UTC+03:00)
Feb. 16, 2021 - Sectoral Meetings to co-produce seasonal Impacts and Advisories
Participation is open and GHACOF participants are encouraged to register for their sector of relevance.
Register to the Opening Plenary and your sector on the hyperlinks below.
Time: East Africa Time (EAT) (UTC+03:00)
8:30 am - 9:45 am:
10:00 am - 13:00 pm: Working Groups
- Agriculture and Food Security
- Livestock and Rangelands
- Water Resources and Energy
- Conflict Early Warning
- Disaster Risk Management
The meeting will:
- Review lessons and experiences from the use of the products provided during GHACOF 56
- Follow up on the implementation of the response strategies proposed in GHACOF 56
- Develop the consolidated objective regional climate outlook for the March to May 2021 season
- Formulate implications of the climate forecast and response strategies for key socio-economic sectors
Feb. 17, 2021 - Main GHACOF meeting: Seasonal Climate Outlook
Time: 8:30 am - 13:30 pm East Africa Time (EAT) (UTC+03:00)
We encourage all GHACOF participants to participate in one of the sector meetings on the 16th of February. Kindly register for your sector in the links provided above.
The main objectives of the forum to be held on 17 February 2021 will be to:
- Present impacts of the past season (October, November, December 2020)
- Present the consolidated objective regional climate outlook for the March to May 2021 season
- Present and discuss the implications of the climate forecast and response strategies
- Partner and ICPAC updates
- Release of the seasonal forecast
Time: 13:30 pm - 17 :00 pm East Africa Time (EAT) (UTC+03:00)
- East Africa Climate Hazards Watch. Abubakr Salih Babiker (available on the Zoom link of the main event) (13:30-15:30 EAT)
- Lessons and Impact from WISER Project Interventions in Managing Climate Extremes. John Mungai (13:30-15:30 EAT)
- Assessing/aligning sectoral responses to seasonal forecast probabilities (15.30 - 17.00 EAT) Peter Johnston (link by invitation)