GHACOF64: Climate Services for Anticipatory Action
Seasonal forecast for June, July, August, and September (JJAS) 2023
The IGAD Climate Prediction and Applications Centre (ICPAC), in collaboration with partners, is organizing the 64th Greater Horn of Africa Climate Outlook Forum (GHACOF 64) for the June to September (JJAS) 2023 season on 24th May 2023 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
The forum will be held in a hybrid format (both in person and virtually) and within the framework of IGAD’s Regional Strategy for Mainstreaming Climate Services in Key Socio-Economic Sectors for Sustainable Development.
The theme of the forum will be: "Climate Services for Anticipatory Action".
The main objectives of the forum are to:
- Reflect on the performance and impacts of the March to May (MAM) 2023 season.
- Present the consolidated objective regional climate outlook for the JJAS 2023 season.
- Discuss the implications of the JJAS 2023 climate forecast and management strategies.
- Provide a regional interaction platform for decision-makers, climate scientists, research scientists, users of climate information, and development partners.
- Release the outcomes of the forum and the GHACOF 64 statement.
Key stakeholders include the National Meteorological and Hydrological Services (NMHSs) of Eastern Africa (Institut Géographique du Burundi, Agence Météorologique Nationale de Djibouti, Eritrea Meteorological Service, Ethiopia Meteorological Institute, Kenya Meteorological Department, Rwanda Meteorological Agency, South Sudan Meteorological Service, Sudan Meteorological Authority, Somalia Meteorological Service, Tanzania Meteorological Authority, and Uganda National Meteorological Authority) as well as partner organizations such as the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), the European Union, and the Organisation of the Africa, Caribbean, and Pacific Group of States (OACPS).
The working language for the forum is English