CONFER-ICPAC Digital media and content Assistant (Climate Services and Earth Observation)
As the main beneficiary of CONFER, ICPAC is expected to (i) operationalize research outcomes and test results to deliver co-produced climate services in food security, water, and energy sectors; (ii)lead in the engagement of key stakeholders and practitioners and developing a state-of-the-art coproduction methodology in WP1 (Co-production of Climate Services); (iii) co-lead in the integration of dynamical and statistical climate forecast production systems in WP2 (Climate, Hydrology and Crop Modeling); (iv) contribute to and participate in WP3 (Processing of Copernicus data)in the design and development of tailored applications and products; (v) participate in WP4 (Training and capacity development) to support capacity needs assessment and training; (vi) co-lead in the design of communication and disseminationstrategy, exploitation strategy and support of policies in WP5 (Communication, Dissemination, and Exploitation) to expand the reach, uptake and use of climate information and products in decision making; and (vii) ensure efficient administrative and financial management, perform monitoring and evaluation, and communication and interaction for project implementation at ICPAC in WP6 (Project management – Africa Activities).
In Coproduction of Climate Services Work Package (WP5) “Communication, Dissemination, and Exploitation” the project aims at expanding the reach, uptake and use of climate information and products in decision making. In particular, it intends to:
- Create visibility and recognition for the project
- Disseminate results from the project activities, including tests or demonstration of tools
- Influence policymakers in Europe and Africa by providing information for use in climate adaptation and mitigation; and to support the Paris Agreement, the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and related policies.
- Improve dissemination and intake of climate services in East Africa
Under the guidance and supervision of the Communication Manager, the incumbent will:
i) Proactively create editorial content (audio, video, infographics, animations, advocacy images, contests, campaigns, stories, photos, etc.) in cooperation with the Communications Team and adapt for media pitching, web and social media, posting daily to respective channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Linkedin, Youtube, Medium, SoundCloud, including Mailchimp and Website where relevant). Adapt multimedia assets for local audiences.
ii) Conceptualize and develop a set of Video formats to deliver climate services and Early Warning information
iii) Conceptualize and develop a set of Earth Observation audiovisual products to deliver climate services and early warnings (eg. Videos, GIFs, Graphics, Satellite Imagery etc.)
Manage Social media accounts:
iv) Continuously update and implement ICPAC’s digital engagement strategy, monitor daily all Social Media platforms with adequate monitoring tools (eg.Tweetdeck, Analytics)
v) Maintain a web and social media calendar and content plans of content themes and all upcoming coverage schedules according to the calendar
vi) Prepare social media packs for flagship events, initiatives, campaigns
vii) Actively engage with online audiences and partners through social media channels
viii) Generate and analyze reports on social media traffic and KPIs using Facebook Insights, Mailchimp and Twitter analytics, Linkedin insights, and other social media focused analytics channels.
Optimize email marketing
ix) Support update and implementation of ICPAC’s email marketing objectives
x) Continuously brief the Communication teams on new relevant email marketing automations
xi) Work with ICPAC’s Programmer to set up Early Warning e-mail marketing automations.
Update the website and manage contents
xii) Manage ICPAC’s website on a daily basis and work to continuously improve the design of the website; ensure key deadlines are met for the dissemination of time-sensitive content.
xiii) Generate and analyze reports on web traffic and KPIs using Google Analytics, Hootsuite, and other social media focused analytics channels.
xiv) Support any other Communications task required by CONFER (EU H2020)
- Bachelor Degree in journalism, marketing, social science, communications or environmental management (if relevant communication experience).
- A Master in Environmental Management, Earth Observation, Climate Change or International Relations is desirable
Required Experience and Skills
● At least 3 years of experience in social media management, video production or multimedia journalism. Ideally for environmental and climate organizations.
- Demonstrated experience in maintaining social media accounts, especially Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, as well as experience with new media executions, preferably with climate organizations.
- Knowledge and understanding of local and global digital landscape and trends.
- Knowledgeable of key players and developments in global Climate policy, science and Earth Observation (eg. UNFCCC, IPCC, WMO, Copernicus, ECMWF, the Paris Agreement, NDCs, Un SDGs etc).
- Proficient in Video production (Filming and editing, including use of Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, Motion).
- Experience using Motion Graphics is desirable.
- Proficient in Graphic design Applications (Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Canva).
- Proficient in generating content for Social Media audiences, in particular Climate contents, making use of original and Creative Commons materials
- Ability to integrate PR/communication initiatives with social media.
- Experience developing compelling content, in particular Climate - Sustainable Development related content to generate response from audiences online.
- Experience interacting with key Climate and Environment Twitter Accounts.
- Experience in reporting on qualitative and quantitative analytics.
- Ability to take professional photographs.
- Previous experience in a similar role is highly desirable.
Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of French would be added advantage.
Duration of Assignment
The assignment is for 36 months subject to performance and availability of funds.
The Expert will report to CONFER-ICPAC WP5 Lead.
The successful candidate will earn a monthly lumpsum salary at IGAD GS4-level without any other benefits.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit by email only with the subject ‘‘Application for CONFER Digital media and content Assistant’’ the following information to email@example.com with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 19th of October 2020.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- Four samples of graphics produced for social media
- Four samples of Videos produced for social media
- Names, addresses (mailing and email addresses) of three references
ICPAC Headquarters located within the Nairobi Metropolitan Area in Kenya. Missions to IGAD member states might be necessary.